REALLY just wanna take this chance to remind the people who follow me to not kill/trap opossums if they’re in your yard, and do not call animal control! Seriously.
- Opossums are literally 100% BIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE of carrying rabies. Their body temperature is too cool to incubate it properly.
- Opossums are actually quite gentle and NOCTURNAL, so if they’re roaming, they’ve probably gotten lost, been injured, and are looking for a place to hide.
- Young opossums tend to try to climb into garbage cans when they’re starving. This is because THEY ARE LITERALLY STARVING. Don’t fucking shoot them or hit them with things because you wanna be some fucking macho top-of-the-food-chain cocksucker.
- Mama possums are amazing mothers and if you encounter an “aggressive” opossum, it’s probably because she’s got babies hanging off her nipple and she’s freaking out. They’re clumsy. Sometimes they don’t hear you coming and you catch each other off guard.
- Wanna lure an opossum off of your property? You can set up a box with some greens and cat kibble in it, hide it well, and lure them out that way. They’re actually quite harmless and keep other predators away. they eat lotsa gross stuff.
- Opossum mamas who get hit by cars often still have their helpless babies attached to them. Possums get a bad rep and people say they are “the dumbest animal”, but they are incredible creatures who have been around since the days of fucking dinosaurs so treat them well, okay?
I miss Pasqualie, sometimes.
This? This is cool. Hang on while I turn into a giant horse nerd for a minute here.
Horses will not lie down unless they feel totally at ease and unthreatened, and especially in the flat-out position. They only lie flat like the two in the front if they’re going to do some REM sleep, which only lasts about 45 minutes. Normally a horse will lie in sternal recumbency, like the two in the back.
The fact that these ponies feel comfy enough to lie down and nap on a beach full of people is impressive— it means they live a life generally free from stress and have learned that they can trust humans. I’d love to know which group of wild ponies this is!
Fun fact: in a herd of horses taking a nap, there will always be at least one who is standing, although they may be relaxed (see cocked leg on rightmost horse). This horse has the job of being the lookout.
you had me at “hang on while i turn into a giant horse”
My cat enjoying a nice catnip easter egg. (:
Magpie playing with a puppy.
think you should probably lose the my there, that’s the cougar’s house now
Friendly reminder that the Duckbill Platypus is not beaver sized but the tiniest most cutest patootie being in existence
i thought these things were the size of like, large cats or something. ITS FUCKING TINY JESUS
Eye see you! An adult male orca pokes his head above the water to have a look at his admiring onlookers. Another image from the Kolgrafafjödur Bridge in Iceland taken February 2014. What a special place! Photography ©Katie Jones, all rights reserved
When this little fella wonders into my parents camp. #krugerpark #southafrica #hyena Looks like mom is beating at becoming a @natgeo photographer
what is going on with the legs
The Gladiator Spider can make an expandable sticky web like a net. When an insect passes below it, it stretches out the net, lunges downwards and flings the net over the prey.